3 Cup Chicken 三杯鸡

I first tasted this Taiwanese dish in 2007 at 猫空 and instantly fell in love with it. The symphony of the 3 cups (sesame oil, dark soya sauce and Chinese cooking wine) created the magic to make me feel at home even though I was many miles away.

So, I decided to recreate the dish when I came home. Initially, I literally just cooked chicken in the 3 sauces, without regard for proportions or sequence. The product? A salty and oily chicken dish without any hint of wine. After a few years of improving, I managed to adjust the dish according to the preference of my family. 



Ingredients:
1) 10 chicken wings cut into bite-size pieces
2) 1-2 cloves of Garlic (peel the skin)
3) 1 thumb-size Ginger sliced very thinly (I use peeler for the paper-thin ginger slices)
4) Sesame oil, Dark Soya Sauce, Shao Xing Wine and Water in proportion of 1:1:2:4. I use half cup, half-cup, 1 cup and 2 cups.  
5) 1 tablespoon of sugar
6) Parsley finely-chopped 

Procedures:
1) Using a wok, fry ginger slices in hot sesame oil until fragrant.
2) Add chicken pieces. Fry until the appearance is brown. Add dark soya sauce. 
3) Add garlic. Fry a little and add water. 
4) Let the chicken and garlic simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the sauce thickens. 
5) Add sugar. Add Chinese Wine. 
6) Add Parsley. Serve.

The sauce is often the first to finish. Nathan, my elder boy loves to drench his rice with the sauce. This dish takes 30 minutes from preparation to completion, but it gives a lingering feeling of homeliness. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shallots Steamed Chicken Wings

Salmon and Mushroom Rice (Rice-cooker)

Hokkien Mee